The Schulhof Collection catalogue is available at the Peggy Guggenhiem Collection Museum Shops.
Hannelore B. and Rudolph B. Schulhof Collection
© 2011 The Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, New York.
All rights reserved.
Excerpt from the book:
“This book celebrates the outstanding collection of postwar and contemporary European and American art assembled over the course of five decades by two visionary collectors. The paintings, sculptures, and works on paper presented here, from the Hannelore B. and Rudolph B. Schulhof Collection, have been promised as a gift to the Solomon R. Guggenheim Foundation, to be housed in the Peggy Guggenheim Collection.
Hannelore Schulhof and her husband, Rudolph Schulhof (1912–1999), arrived in New York from Europe in 1940. (They had first met in Prague but had lived most recently in Belgium.) They began collecting art in the late 1940s, and by the 1980s had acquired a reputation for the refinement of their choices and the care with which their works were selected. They frequently developed friendships with the artists whose work they acquired. The Schulhofs’ collection is exemplary of the truism that fine collections are built from connoisseurship and passion. Altruism and philanthropy also define their relationship to art.”
Director, Solomon R. Guggenheim Museum and Foundation
Director, Peggy Guggenheim Collection