Jose de Creeft was born in Guadalajara, Spain in 1883. He began studying sculpture in 1896 and moved to Paris in 1905 where he studied at the Academie Julian. He was among the first sculptors of his time to reintroduce the practice of direct carving in stone and wood. He taught sculpture for many years at the Art Students League in New York City, and later in his own sculpture studio in the Chelsea section of NYC. In 1960 he had a retrospective at the Whitney Museum of American Art, and in 1983 he had major exhibition at the National Gallery of Art.